We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'no signal' message

Rayspan

Likes # 0

Hi folks - been a while since I posted. I'm really stuck on this one. Please help.

I've just swapped a motherboard on an 'elderly' computer.

The old mobo had both an onboard vga port & a radeon 9600 graphics card. Platform is windows 7, which was loaded without the graphics card installed, and with BIOS set accordingly.

With win7 up & running successfully, and radeon card installed, on startup I entered BIOS and selected the AGP setup parameters. Windows 7 fired up OK, promptly found and installed a graphics driver, and all was well.

Now for the hard part.

Gutting the system, I replaced the mobo with a winfast K7NCR18D Pro, that was running successfully when harvested from an earlier machine.

Problem is that this beast does not have on-board graphics at all. However, I assumed that since the correct driver was safely tucked away on the hard disk, and assuming that the BIOS would know where to find it, I expected it to fire up OK.

No such luck. Screen waits a while at start up, then reports 'no signal.'

Where do I go from here? Any suggestions? (Preferably polite ones!).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

BIOS uses basic inbuilt drivers, nothing off the HDD as you should beable to get it to boot to an error message if HDD is missing / faulty.

Make sure BIOS is set to use AGP USe the clear BIOS jumper to set the BIOS to defaults and retry also try reseating the graphics card firmly.

Like this post
Rayspan

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat. Followed your advice to clear CMOS. It hasn't done the trick sadly, still 'no signal'.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you also followed Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's second piece of advice to re-seat the graphics card firmly? You might also check the cable connections between the monitor and the PC. As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, the BIOS has built in VGA drivers so no display indicates a hardware problem not a software driver problem.

Like this post
Rayspan

Likes # 0

Thanks chub_tor. Yes, been there, done that, got the 'T'-shirt! I came to same conclusion as you. Hunted for shorts et.c. No success. Think it must be end o t'road for this one. I just have a problem chucking out anything that looks OK. Silly I know. I can salvage processor & cooler at least. Unless that's where the problem is of course. Many thanks one & all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback