We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

renewing car tax online

mobileman1953
Resolved

Likes # 0

so much for all the publicity how easy it is to tax your car online, got my reminder yesterday said i could apply after 05/07/11, so applied today online got refused because my insurance runs out in 2 days time, i have renewed my insurance with a different company which apparantly cannot be shown on insurance database, surely there should be someway for the dvla online service to get round this problem

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Recently I received my renewal and tried to get my new RFL, but the DVLA wouldn't allow it as my MOT was due to run out. Got service and MOT done and there was no problem, because as the DVLA state it is not now that counts it is the date on which the RFL starts that is when everything has to be in order. So for me it was no MOT so no RFL. Simples!!!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The way I understand it, is that it can take 'upto' 14 days for an insurance company to inform and have the details placed on the database. If you get stopped by the police, then they will usually telephone the insurance company who say have issued the insurance, for confirmation that you hold cover on the vehicle.

One thing that I did notice once with the DVLA and credit card payments, and that is sometimes their system doesn't accept the card details. I had this happen to me, and when contacting the DVLA by telephone, they knew about the problem. In fact it happened again while I was asking the call centre to renew the tax. I had to use another card.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

I had exactly the same problem last week! After some prodding, I got my new insurance company to send me the cover note by email - which they did, arriving just in the nick of time! So I got the tax disc at the Post Office!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback