We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Add new router to network

MrNewName

Likes # 0

At present we have BTConnect ISP connected to an ASDL modem-router. I want to connect two new PCs to the network, both of which are about 30 metres away.

Rather than running two cables, is it possible to run one to the new point and then add a second router to the end of this cable?

As you can probably tell, I know nothing about networking so any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Rather than running two cables, is it possible to run one to the new point and then add a second router to the end of this cable?"

What you want to do is to connect a Network Switch to the end of your single ethernet cable to provide additional ports. Your existing router continues to perform the "routing" function and to allocate the IP addresses by DHCP.

Something like http://tinyurl.com/5tvgsy3

Like this post
MrNewName

Likes # 0

Thank you, that is helpful. I'll check it out and get back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...