We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

most likely reason laptop doesnt switch on, yet with all the lights functioning-hd or psu?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

With everything plugged in, I switch a laptop on today, and although the light on the power supply, and the light on the actual laptop itself both come on (just above the keyboard), nothing happens at all-the hard drive makes no sound, I get a blank black screen. After waiting for what seems like forever, I slide out the battery block to force a switch off. After restarting, no issues, everything works as normal. Its not an old system, around 2008, and as far as I know I was the last to use it, so was switched off correctly the night before. Could this be the first sign of a failing msi power supply, or (at worst) failing hard drive? Everything is backed up, but if it continues to work, was an odd occurance... ;( what do you think would be best to do? thanks

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I've had the same problem with my Evesham laptop.

I think the poor old thing just gets confused (like me!) and I really can't be bothered trying to sort it out. It's only happened a couple of times in six years so I'm not too worried about it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Static on motherboard

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.
Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Thanks *Fruit Bat /\0/* . Next time it happens I'll try that.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Since I couldnt switch off in any way, I wasnt too comfortable in having to forcefully do so by using the technique of sliding the battery out whilst the power light was still on, but after reinserting the battery, I have had no issues at all. Ill try the switch on trick for 30 seconds with both the battery+psu removed to see if that helps with static, thanks. Many websites seem to hint towards static being a potential ram" target="_blank">http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/43464-what-do-if-your-laptop-wont-start-up.html">ram memory module or general" target="_blank">http://www.hootoo.com/blog/static-electricityinvisible-killer-of-laptop.html">general laptop killer. I just wonder how large the risk really is, but then I may well be proof thats its at least definately out there.

I thought initially that the hard drive may have been at fault, as I had forgotten about good 'ol static. After re-inserting the battery earlier today, it has been working fine. The only thing I had done that was out of the ordinary the day before, was listen to 'last.fm' radio for about an hour, but that was it-I almost thought I had overworked the system and should have stuck to T in the park on freeview instead-and if there was a better range of bands on, I might've just done that ;) thanks :)

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

website not working again with links?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft's all or nothing bet on Windows Phone is the best way forward

IDG UK Sites

Google adds better type rendering to its Chrome browser on Windows