We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need a header only on first page of word doc. Word 2007 Windows 7

bpzoom
Resolved

Likes # 0

Using advice on a 2008 forum posting I tried to stop a header on page 2 and subsequent pages as follows:- Scroll to the bottom of P1, Page Layout>Breaks>Section Breaks> Next Page. When I go down to the next section by scrolling down, and then delete the unwanted header on page 2, it removes the header from page 1 as well. I am missing something here. I can't see a way to go to the next section other than by scrolling down to it. Any change to the header on section 2 is replicated in section 1 i.e. page 1. Advice would be appreciated.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

My understanding of headers/footers is that they appear on every page. If you only want a 'header' on the first page, I would just type it straight into the document as I want it and not use Headers/Footers

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

View / headers and footers / and look for 'first page only' Not quite sure as I have got rid of Office and only use OpenOffice now.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 1

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 1

If you just want the Header on the first page.

Open the header on the first page and delete all text.

On the disigner tab/options put a tick against Different first page. Everything typed into this header will not show on any other page.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Are you doing a letterhead or similar by chance? If so I find it easier to follow Brynit on this one and on the design tab tick different first page. Then close the header and footer and insert a page break so you have two pages. (Delete the page break later)

Now open the header / footer again and go to the header or footer on the second page and insert your second, (and subsequent) headers and footers - "Continued ..." for example and in the footer perhaps "Page x of y".

Close Header Footer and delete the page breaks and save the document.

Like this post
bpzoom

Likes # 0

Yes, it is a letterhead. Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I have produced a 3 page document with a header only on page 1. Why this should be so messy to do I cannot imagine. Thanks again.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Thought it might be. It's always been a pain since Office 1997! Glad you`re now sorted - a tick for resolved maybe?

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good