We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Proposed PC upgrade - A few questions about RAID 10 and SLI

paul806

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

My PC is as follows;

CoolerMaster GX650W, Asus P8Z68-V Pro, Intel i5 2500k, Corsair H50 CPU cooler, OCZ Platinum 2x 2GB 1333MHz CL7 DDR3, Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm 16MB Cache, MSI GTX 560-Ti 1GB Twin Frozr II OC, Asus Xonar DG, Samsung BD-ROM.

Recently I purchased 2 Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 7200rpm 16MB Cache HDDs. My intention was to boost performance by running the new pair in RAID 0 with my WD disk as a backup for important data and OS image etc. It was only after I purchased them that I realized that my chipset won't support the use of a disk not in RAID configuration whilst using RAID mode. I could run them in RAID 0 but I feel a bit uneasy about it without any fault tolerance.

I've decided that the best option may be just to go ahead and purchase a 4th drive and use a RAID 10 configuration. Is this possible with the two different brands of drive? Does anyone think this is a waste of time and money? I welcome any advice. If it is a good idea, would I be best to get another of the WD drives so I have 2 identical pairs?

The other thing is that I'm really tempted to get a second GPU, having read great things about my card's SLI performance. I used a PSU recommendation calculator with my full set up (including the 4 HDDs) and factoring in a potential CPU overclock to 4GHz and it came out with a 589W requirement. Do you think my 650W PSU is really sufficient to cope under load?

Thanks very much for your time, I look forward to your feedback.

Paul

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

You have a few options.

1. Set up the 2 Samsung HDD in Raid 0 array and put the WD in the Marvell Sata connection (navy blue) after installing Marvell Sata controller driver from the mobo CD and serves as a backup drive.

2. You can utilise the existing 3 hard drives to form a Raid 5 array which will give you performance as well as fault tolerance,make & model not a problem as long as they're the same capacity.

3. Even if you set up a Raid 5 or Raid 10 array ,you'll still need some form of backup (it can go wrong), so I'd suggest getting another Samsung to set up as a Raid 5 and use the WD as a back up drive.

Conclusion: option 1 should suffice.

Your CoolerMaster GX650W is Ok for now but only has 2 PCI express connections so if you want to have another GTX 560-Ti as well as some overclocking then you may need a beefier PSU with 4 PCI express connections such as this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/234916

Link test PSU" target="_blank">http://www.ebuyer.com/product/234916">PSU

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more