We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Black Start Screen

shellship
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend (Win XP)cannot start correctly. He gets a blck screen with the usual options - start in safe mode, last configuration etc but which ever one he choose the same screen returns. His son who is an expert does not return to this country for a couple of days and I was asked if I could help. Well I cannot. If it will not load with any of the four options what can be the problem, please?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

shellship

If he has the installation DVD you could try a repair install.

Follow the instructions EXACTLY and you will not lose data.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As there could be 101 reasons for the Black screen (hardware or software) I would tell him to wait for his son - it's only a couple of days and it will probably take you more than a week to sort it out, even if you can and you may lose all of his data.

Also the son will probably end up having to sort it out or check it over and if he is an expert he will most likely not appreciate your efforts as you attempt to explain to him 'what you have done so far'....

sorry....

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic. Wise advice as usual.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Probably true, but the repair install is reliable IF you are confident. If not, then as per Lotvic!

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Wanted to mark this as solved but don't know how to do it with the new layout.

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Tick one of your posts with the big arrow. At least it was working that way last week :))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes