We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Burning a dvd with Final cut pro!

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks,A family member has made and edited a film using final cut pro!She is using a Mac and now wants to burn the final edit/file to dvd so it will play on a dvd player.She has been having some hassles along the way,the Mac was spitting out the blank dvd's etc(it turned out that the cd/dvd writer was only compatible with Dvd-r!)but managed to complete her film.I am not familiar with a Mac at all and she is a bit of a novice.I was just wondering if anyone here could please ofer any help/advice as to how to go about burning the saved file to dvd?Any help is much appreciated.Thank you.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Part 2!

1) Have you tried burning a disc image from DVD Studio Pro? This is a better way to go even if everything is working. In the format dialog, choose 'Hard Drive' instead of your DVD burner. You can save the .dmg anywhere you like, and later mount it and burn it to disc at a slower speed in Disk Utility, or Toast.

There is a lot of stuff here, I guess we need a little more info hiwatt :))

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Thanks very much crosstrainer2, that's something for her to work through!Would it be worth trying the link posted by eedcam for the program "Burn" to convert the files or can she do that from within FCP?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I've got an idea, Does she have a apple account?

If yes, tell her to google Apple Communities, then create a quick username and sign in with her normal itunes / appstore account.

She will then have direct access to the info. I'm cutting and pasting from.

Jeff The link in edcams post might be worth a try, but id go with communities if she can, she can post a direct question there....Someone will walk her through it,

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

oops, sorry don't know what happened then.

But the communities might be best, she can post specific error there, and someone will walk her through it.

It's a secure site so I cant post a link directly here.

Jeff

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Thanks very much crosstrainer2. I've emailed her the links etc.The only information I have is what I've posted here(Not much) She's very adapt at filming etc but new to converting it to digital format.As the film is for a client and is overdue she's panicking and has been at it for ages.With a bit of luck she might get somewhere with the info you provided.Thank you very much!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I hope it helps! I have the same FCP coming on Thursday :))

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

@crosstrainer2.Have you got your copy of FCP yet?My sister inlaw is still having issues getting her film to dvd.She went into the Apple store and apparently her drive could only burn Cd's and not dvd's?He advised her to burn the quicktime file to Cd.I presume he meant as a video disc?Anyway she tells me the quicktime file(after being compressed)is 7.40GB?The film is only around 35 minutes long filmed in HD!I've told her to recompress the file again as this just doesn't sound right to me?She has bought an external dvd burner to urn to dvd.Any thoughts?Thanks.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks.A bit of progress has been made.The final FPC film has been compressed and is just over 1gb in size and is a FPC file..She has burned a couple of dvd's but they won't play in a standalone dvd player?The footage is HD.Can HD be burned to a normal dvd?I would really appreciate any help.Thank you.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Yes HD can be burned to a standard dvd as HD obviously file size being relevant Most bluray players should play this . I use Adobe premiere elements which whilst it will let you burn to bluray If you have abluray write( I Dont) will not let you create an Iso image of the File .For that I have to use a Phantom burber which elements sees as a bluray drive . I then create an Iso image which any drive will burn to a standard dvd .If you have to go this route the Phantom burner is free but only allows about 1.4 G/byte if you need more you have to buy it

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Here is the link on how to should you need it link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data