We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running Linux from flash drive in Windoze

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Well thats the theory.

Having downloaded and installed Universal USB installer,and running the CD burn software - both the recommended ImggBurn and my preferred CD Burner XP pro will only direct me to the CD/DVD burner not USB flash drive How then do I get the creator to find the drive?

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

I give up. Copy the following into the address bar of your browser

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What is all this mention of 'Imgburn' and 'CD Burner XP pro' for? I thought you were using the program 'Universal USB Installer.exe'

Universal USB Installer is a free download stand-alone application that runs on Windows systems. Did you look at the links in my previous post, they have screenshots of how it works?

Universal USB Installer.exe is a stand-alone application that automates the process of downloading, formatting, and installing a Linux OS .iso to a USB drive

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you lotvic I indeed an using Universal USB Installer now- and have successfully obtained a Flash Drive and a DVD image.

Have yet to get them to work however.

This is I suspect more to do with my ancient kit which only allows Boot from CD as alternative boot option - I understand that USB is part of the MoBo firmware these days

Where as I believe in my case USB is only available through the operating system Is that right?

So now I have passed then onto a chum with more modern kit to see what happens.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think that you are right. You would have to look in the BIOS setup for what you have got to choose from.

Not all 'oldie' motherboards support usb booting. It will tell you in the BIOS if you can enable USB booting and show it in the bit where you choose boot order.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer