We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running Linux from flash drive in Windoze

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Well thats the theory.

Having downloaded and installed Universal USB installer,and running the CD burn software - both the recommended ImggBurn and my preferred CD Burner XP pro will only direct me to the CD/DVD burner not USB flash drive How then do I get the creator to find the drive?

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Can you not "Drag and Drop" linix to USB drive? or am I not understanding ?

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

You need to go into the BIOS and change the drive boot up order to that the USB is first to be looked at.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Sorry about the poor English, as there is no edit facility on this site, this is what I meant to say:

You need to go into the BIOS and change the drive boot up order, so that the USB is first to be looked at.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

With the usb installer did you select the drive letter of your flash drive?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Ignore my earlier post, I didn't read your post properly.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Try unetbootin.

Take a look" target="_blank">http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/">look here to find out more.

You will be able to boot straight from a USB stick once you've completed the procedure, provided you've set up your computer to look for USB first - refer to octal's post.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Octal wrote Sorry about the poor English, as there is no edit facility on this site,

Wot! Oh yes there is-

The text is displayed in a grey panel as you type- read and correct as you go before you click 'Post'

Mind you I too am guilty of rattling off responses and hitting post be fore checking spelling,context etc., you are not alone ;-}

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you all for the responses so far. Last Chip wqll take a lookand play with your link to morrow -visitors coming to day. However other responses seem to be either off the mark or not really getting to grips with the problem.

So let me explain further

Downloaded ISO file - good

It seems that it needs further treatment to get to an operating state on another media.

To this end the various 'programs suggested have to be set up.that is- Img Burn or the others listed by your good selves one of which turns out to be a music converter.

These programs then direct the image to the new source,but in all cases will only direct me to the Optical burner drive- they do not recognize/allow the image to go to a USB drive -

They simply do not list it from what I can discover so far.

So am I being particularly dim?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

As I posted my last I realized my headline may be leading you astray

The headline reads

Running Linux from flash drive in Windoze

What I really mean is to get an ISO Image to a USB Drive so that it will run LINUX

My profound apologies to one and all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...