We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is my flash memory card dead?

edenworkshops
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello

I had been having problems with my Kodak easy share camera and dock, I could not transfer pictures from the camera, I needed the pictures on the camera quite urgently, so I purchased a flash memory card reader.

I plugged it in this morning, and the drive showed up in My Computer, on accessing the drive it appeared to be empty.

I used the microsoft scanner and camera wizard to access the drive and the pictures showed up, but when I tried to copy them I was told the file could not be copied.

Is my flash memory card dead? It is 8 years old.

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try CampicRestor http://www.rcc-ltd.co.uk/CampicRestor.zip

When you have the files off the card then format the card in the camera

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Thank you for your tip, unfortunately when I tried to access the drive just now it is not appearing in my computer?

I tried unplugging it and re-inserting it but no joy.

Richard

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I have just plugged in my external hard drive into the same usb slot that I used for the flash card reader.

It does not show up in my computer.

I get a messaage saying:

"One of the USB devices attched to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it."

Eeek, whats happening?

Richard

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sometimes if you leave the external hdd connected (and powered) to the usb port and reboot it can recognise it again. Worth a try.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I just tried that and the flash memory card showed up and I was able to copy some of the pictures to my hard drive.

But when I tried to copy other pictures it said they could not be copied?

Richard

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try this, create a new folder on the desktop. Name it if you wish (not my pictures). Just drag some photos over to it and see if it works.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

(not my pictures) should be (not "my pictures")

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

No it didn't work.

Right now sometimes the drive appears in my computer, sometimes not, when it does appear, sometimes it appears empty, sometimes the pictures show but cannot be copied or deleted.

Is my memory card dead do you think?

Richard

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To check card: put memory card back in your camera and see if you can view the pictures on your camera. Are you being careful with the little switch on the card 'Lock/Unlock'? Make sure it is fully in the UNlock position.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Thank you for that, it seems to have cured the problem.

Very much appreciated thank you.

regards

Richard

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...