We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

broadband gone very very slow

smh10

Likes # 0

Hi I have a windows7 pc on which i have a wireless bt broadband connect. Suddenly the other morning I found the broadband had gone very very slow indeed. Website wouldn't load ( i tried several different browsers) and emails wouldn't download in windows live mail. Oddly I checked the hub and that was fine. Also the wireless signal icon in the system tray shows the broadband signal being received by the pc is "excellent" 5bars strength. I have a laptop on which i have the same wireless broadband connection and it is working excellently on the laptop. So the hub and signal is fine, and the pc is receiving a strong broadband connection. But still website won't load and email won't download

Can anyone help please?

Like this post
smh10

Likes # 0

I ought to add that I have since wiped and rebuilt the pc, with a clean win7 install on it, and when i put the broadband connection back on it it still had the exact same problem

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you tried Control panel.Troubleshoot and click on Network and Internet and see if that finds any problems.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

No doubt you have also tried Device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of your drivers.

Like this post
smh10

Likes # 0

Yep. everything is ok in device manager - latest driver installed

Network and internet connection troubleshooter finds no problems

BT Broadband desktop help won't run and it says there's no internet connection - how flippin useless!

glad i've still got this laptop!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I know very little about wireless connections so will leave that for the experts to advise you.

All I can think of is to try with your firewall switched off just in case it is that which is stopping it. Have you downloaded any new security programs that may be interfering with the connection. Try services and make sure WLAN is switched on.While in there make sure DNS Client is also switched on.

Just some things to try until someone can help.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try resetting your LAN

Start - Run - type in CMD r/click - Run as Administrator Type in - NETSH WINSOCK RESET (with spaces) Press Enter

Like this post
smh10

Likes # 0

thanks for your replies

unfortunately none of these ideas have worked

websites still won't load, connection just timesout

emails still don't download

wireless signal is still strong, hub still working fine on this laptop

very odd

any other ideas? ta

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you tried safe mode with networking to see if it works Ok that way.

or safe mode and System repair.

or Command prompt and type in sfc /scannow.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Try this:

Shut down your PC.

Power Off your router for 1 minute (switch it off completely)

Power router back on, and wait for solid DSL light.

Reboot your PC

I'm guessing you have a BT homehub?

Even if not the above still applies!

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

When all else fails as it did for me for nearly a week, about a year ago.

If you can, ask any neighbours or anyone using the same BT exchange and regardless of ISP, ask them if they are having trouble.

A year ago things became so bad connection was below dial-up speed. While trying all the ideas mentioned in this thread including BT and having an engineer call (after the system recovered). all was well again.

It seems since most of our village was affected that there was work going on in a larger exchange which feeds the local one. The BT engineer was tight lipped, but each authority seems to work with a different part of the system and Open Reach doesn't speak to BT or anyone else! Try BT and you speak to India and that can summon an engineer, but no authority seems to have a complete help service or much clue outside their own sphere.

Take heart, the problem if others are involved will clear.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote