We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freezer keeps going

userious?

Likes # 0

Hi,On Thursday the door of our freezer was left slightly ajar and started to defrost, luckily it was spotted but since then it hasnt switched itself off and just keeps running and im not sure what to do. Should we get a new one one or get it repaired, which might be costly, it's about five years old.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

No. What's happened to userious? freezer is similar to what happened to morddwyd's freezer if I remember rightly and as morddwyd says, just defrost completely then run the freezes empty for about 12 hrs before stocking up again.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

For a quick defrost, use a fan heater, that will get rid of the ice and dry the internal surfaces completely before restarting. Put the heater on a chair away from the melt water and have it powered through an RCD (H&S).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Quickbeam userious?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Or use a blowtorch? ( only joking) don't try that at home folks!

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Perhaps the thermostat has failed?

My chest freezer is 20-30 years old. Yes, I know it is old hat, inefficient and should have gone long ago.
I had to replace the thermostat about 15 years ago. Can you actually switch it off at the "warmest" setting?

Is there not a "freezer repair man" near you. It was easy for me, but an upright freezer may not be so easily fixed, being streamlined might have a tortuous route for the sensing bulb and capillary.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

rdave13

Yes, that way I can defrost mine within half an hour and have it back below freezing within an hour.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As has been said by almost all. A thorough defrost is in order.

Then, when it's back up and running, but still keeps running after a reasonable length of time or it doesn't re-freeze, it may be necessary to top up the gas/refrigerant. If it has done a good few years of service, the Refrigerant used in it may no longer be available.

In every town there are several small Companies maintaining Commercial Refrigeration Plant. Usually very busy in the hot weather. Ring one, tell them of the problem, have a chat about possible solutions, and ask for a quote for a call-out and possible costs. It may be cheaper to replace the whole thing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite