We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removed laptop Hard drive... what next?

tAtu*!

Likes # 0

Hi all

I have removed a hard drive from my broken laptop. its a 40 gig hitachi travelstar ata/ide. Is there any way that I can use this HDD in my desktop? If so how would I do this and what would I need to do this? The lappy HDD was Win XP SP3, my desktop in win 7 64 bit.

Thanks in advance

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You won't be able to run its Windows XP installation by mounting the drive in a different computer. If you really want to have the use of the drive for file storage, I'd suggest mounting it in an " target="_blank">http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-2-5-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B00293S9N6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310195622&sr=8-3">external USB 2.0 enclosure.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I give up!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No, I can't do it either!

Another try: http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-250StU3-BH-Enclosure-inch-12-5mm-Height/dp/B003XG08PA/ref=sr121?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1310197440&sr=1-21

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Ah, that's better!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...