We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer disk image

Newuser007

Likes # 0

do you know how to access a image disk of a Acer aspire 5612 as my hard drive has failed and I do not have the image software, as it was on the hidden partition of the old drive I have email to Acer but received no reply as yet thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Just place the Recovery Disk in the drive and boot from it.

Like this post
Newuser007

Likes # 0

thanks fruit bat but the disks are not bootable just the image files

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What was the software you used to create the "image" disk?

If it was something like Acronis True Image, you can install the program in another computer and then create "Bootable Recovery Media" to boot the PC and run the program. However, you might need to copy the file(s) from the image disk to an external USB 2.0 drive because the CD/DVD drive will be in use running the bootable program disk.

Like this post
Newuser007

Likes # 0

Hi the software used was Acer Version 1.x of e Recovery that comes with the laptop as standard

thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Are you sure that the Acer Recovery disk (or the first disk) isn't bootable? My Acer PCs have an F12 option to select the device from which to boot.

If the recovery disk isn't bootable, there is little point in having it because, if the hard drive works, its own recovery partition can be used. If the hard drive fails, the recovery disk needs to be bootable.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The Acer laptop I had would boot from the disc's I made when I first got the machine.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Also I thought that my drive had failed once because it just kept going back to the safe mode screen no matter what I did so I downloaded and burned to disc the Hitachi drive fitness utility and booted from that and it turned out to be the boot sector was corrupt which it fixed and was OK after that.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame