We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Utilities software (Free)

Hetti

Likes # 0

My brother currently has Glary utilities but has problems when there is an update to do, as he has to go to the website then download the update then install it (he had 12 downloads and had not installed any of them) he wondered why he was continually being asked to update, he is getting on a bit and not very good on PC he needs something that will udate automatically from the software with as few steps as possible, also free if possible.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Surley the easy answer would be for you to give him a hand and load the updates for him, or do you like too far away or another reason why you cannot do this?.

Terry

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Hi Terry

Yes it is quiet a way from where I live... I dont mind making the trek but just thought it might be an idea to install something different for him. I have downloaded advanced system care on to my PC, I will use it for a while to see if it might be OK for him to use.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Glary was or use to be classed as one of the 'better/reliable' product. Advanced System Care was originally Advanced Window Care, and over time, this as undergone a number of changes (some good,some not so good). The same applies to Iobit and Ashampoo products. All have free versions available.

Install CCleaner, and give that a try. You could also check out http://www.majorgeeks.com or http://www.filehippo.com for other alternatives (the latest version of CCleaner should be on both websites).

If you are not sure about other products, then come back with your queries.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

One option would be to tell him to ignore or say 'No Thanks' to the updates and let you sort it out when you visit. After all they are seldom critical and some do detract from the original (good) functionality of some software as spuds points out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'