We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown...HELP!!!

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, my friend has a fortnight old new Acer laptop and suddenly he cannot get on the internet/Bring his homepage up using Google Chrome OR IE. On Google Chrome he gets this message:Error 101 (net::ERRCONNECTIONRESET): Unknown

He had Avast AND McAfee antivirus both running at the same time...i have run Malwarebytes and Spybot and Spy bot found a few entries but still the problem persists.

Note: Programs can update via wireless no problem but just no luck when it comes to bringing up a page.

Please can anyone help?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hello, can anyone help please?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Uninstall either Avast or McAfee. Never run two antivirus programmes at the same time, they will cause conflicts.

From Command prompt run ipconfig /flushdns

Try loading webpage again. If not working

From Command prompt run ipconfig /registerdns

Command prompt must be run with administrator privileges

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you so much.

I will do just that after the Super AntiSpyware scan that is currently running. Just a question- apparently it came preinstalled with both those AntiVirus programs.....do you think is correct?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, ok i did both but still no luck....although i must say that i dont know how to run it as administrator as i just went to 'run' and opened from there, i didn't see an option to run as administrator?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

In IE go to TOOLS - Internet options - Advanced and press Reset

To run Command Prompt as Aministrator.....Right Click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

PHEEEW!! I made the mistake of doing the command prompts first....and the problem still persisted. BUT...when i uninstalled McAfee to leave Avast still running both IE and Chrome worked perfectly! Thank you so much Ams4127!!

Ps- Just one more thing- My friend insists that both McAfee and Avast were preinstalled on the laptop when he got it...does this seem a bit odd?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...