We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adding PCs to network/router

PhiltheBear

Likes # 0

I currently have a router which connects 3 PCs and a backup disc/server and which provides my internet gateway. However, I want to add 2 PCs. I have a spare 4 port router which I can use (if that's feasible). Everything is wired - not wireless - and I want to stay that way.

Is there a cheap and easy way of doing this?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you disable the spare router's DHCP server, so that it doesn't try to allocate conflicting IP addresses with your main router, you should be able to run an ethernet cable from one of the main router's LAN ports to one of the spare router's LAN ports. The spare router will then function as a basic network switch. This gives you two additional ports (because you lose one port from each router).

If neither router has "auto-sensing" ports, it may be necessary to link the two routers with a crossover ethernet cable.

Like this post
PhiltheBear

Likes # 0

OK - if I can work out how to do that, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features