We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Firefox Addon we'll all want - Memory Restart

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

More about this add-on

"Firefox has a known history of being a memory hog – leave it open for long enough with multiple tabs open, and it will slowly drain away your computer’s memory. The so called ‘memory leak’ has always been a problem with Firefox as long as I can remember. Even Mozilla acknowledges the existence of the memory issue and as a workaround it recommends periodic restart of Firefox to bring the browser’s memory usage down to reasonable levels"

"Memory Restart is an open-source Firefox add-on that allows you to quickly restart Firefox if memory usage is too high. Firefox users can see the memory usage in the add-on bar or the toolbar tool-tip. If memory usage reaches a certain threshold, the add-on bar display and the toolbar icon will turn red. You can quickly restart Firefox at any time by clicking on the add-on bar display or the toolbar icon.

The memory threshold and add-on bar text colors are customizable. There is also an auto restart feature"

To download CLICK HERE

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Also see MemoryFox

Right click the little circle icon in the status/Add-on bar at bottom of page, Activate and forget (so I've heard)

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Marked so that I can find it when I get back from holiday, I can't download it now because I am using iPad.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

To be honest, when I was sent the link for this software, it was the first I'd heard about FF's power consumption problem.

robinofloxley

Thanx for your input, I guess you/I could have them both running at the same time. Depending how much memory they consume? That can be the trouble with so many addons these days, they may stop the programme in question consuming the power but it isn't much good if they themselves are power hungry. Still I'll give them the benefit of any doubt I may have and give them both a go.

Do I take it from "(so I've heard)" that you are not an FF user? Or just not an addon user?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

'So I've heard' means that although I am computer literate since the days of Z80, I do not consider myself an expert and rely on others tips and tricks.

FF mem probs widely discussed here" target="_blank">http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1499995">here (my other favourite hangout)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi robinofloxley

I'll check it out. I see it's not just me that's having trouble posting stuff on PCA today. I can't tell you how many tries I had to post this thread. Initially I was trying on 'Consumerwatch', No joy there, but after several attempts it was successfull here.

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

bookmarked

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I use Opera, it doesn't need add-ons to make it work!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you use the download link, it might pay to read the reviews on that link.

Appears there was a bug with this add-on, which as now been fixed. At least, it gives you confidence that Firefox developers are watching the reviews and passing on comments.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more