We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HD5770 Video Card

Palken

Likes # 0

I have a HP-Pavilion computer equipped with an AMD Phenon 9550 quad processor 4GB of ddr2 ram and an radeon 3600 series graphics card which I run on the windows 7 64 bit OS.

I am planning to replace the card with a XFX HD 5770 1GB Single Slot Cooler Edition 850MHz Dual DVI DisplayPort PCI-E. I use the PC mainly for Video editing and playing WOW. Can anyone tell me if this is a good choice of card and if my 350 Watt PSU will be sufficient to run this card.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I appreciate that the new card may be faster, but I would also look at the Memory (what is the speed of it)and get the best that your machine can handle , see prices

link" target="_blank">http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmodule/DDR2/list.html?cpe=pd_msn_uk&ef_id=F-dOFwqsenAAAIjb:20110708134828:s">link text

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

strange- That link did not work.

Go to Crucial, and look at the the memory finder for your machine. Terry

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I think that you will be toiling with that PSU, I think you should be looking at a minimum of 450/500W.

Like this post
Palken

Likes # 0

Thanxs Terry and Geng

Not sure what speed my memory is only know it is DDR2. I was toying with the idea of increasing the memory to 8 Gig. Can I fit DDR3 or memory with faster speed?

I will also fit a 500 watt PSU.

Thanks again:)

Like this post
Palken

Likes # 0

Missed the Crucial tip on first read through but have now been on and scanned my system and can only fit DDR2 and recommends 2x4Gig matched cards.

I guess the more expensive the faster?

So would cost about £112 to upgrade with fastest DDR2.

I think I will try card and PSU first and if that doesn't significantly improve things will look towards new motherboard and CPU.

Thxs again.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you could give more details of your HP PC, ie model number it should be possible to find out exactly what you have in your PC. Or you could use this SIW" target="_blank">http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html">SIW scroll down to the free version.This will tell you all you need to know about your PC. If you want to put more RAM in have a look at what is all ready installed and just buy 2-4GB more.

I am not really sure how your post got from graphics card to extra ram which you do not really need. A larger PSU is necessary.

Like this post
Palken

Likes # 0

Thanks for info Gengiscant.

Terry thought increasing memory might improve things.

I have taken on board all advice and decided to bite the bullet and invest in a new PC:

ASROCK M3A770DE CROSSFIRE READY MOTHERBOARD 550 WATT CORSAIR PSU AMD PHENOM 3.2GHz QUAD CPU 8 GIGABYTE CORSAIR XMS DDR3 RAM ATI HD 6770 1GB GRAPHICS CARD

What do yo think?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Very nice, what is your budget by the way?perhaps I can have a look or is this a complete PC not just components that you will be building yourself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...