We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I-Tunes download

ChasNoel

Likes # 0

I have been using I-Tunes for some time but at the end of last year, it suddenly stopped working. I decided to delete and download a newer version. That did not work I kept getting a message that I already had I-Tunes. Then I got a new laptop and downloaded I-Tunes without any trouble but whe I decided to use it. I got a message that all the music on my I-pod would be deleted as I weas using a different computer. I decided to remain with the old desk-top but I cannot get I=-Tiunes to download. When it does download and I try to use it I get a message telling me that there is a fault which cannot be repaired. Can anyone help please?Problem

Like this post
dogtrack

Likes # 0

On your OLD computer, copy your "i tunes" folder....usually in My Music, to an external HDD.

Then de register that installation of I Tunes through the menue system. (you are only allowed 5 installs active at any one time).

Now on your new computer with its new install of I Tunes, register it, again, through the menue system.

Now copy the CONTENT of your old itunes folder into the new itunes folder. When asked if you wish to overwrite the original content...agree.

You should now have a working I Tunes with all your old music, apps or whatever.

You can now sync your Iphone, I pod, I pad or whatever.

Just remember to use the same details for your activation on the new machine as you hsad for your old machine. And provided you haven't exceeded your 5 install limit all will be well.

Like this post
ChasNoel

Likes # 0

Many thanks Dogtrack. Don't have an external HDD but will try to download contents of my I-pod to the laptop and take it from there. Charles

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Un-installing itunes can be a real pain, Apple may make good gadgets but the are not so hot with their itunes software. Try un-installing itunes the Apple way.vista/7" target="_blank">http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1923">vista/7 XP" target="_blank">http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925">XP But as 'Dogtrack' states copy the contents of tour old itunes folder to your new one, trying to copy from your ipod to the laptop is something that Apple's itunes makes extremely difficult. you can use a program called Copytrans Copy" target="_blank">http://www.copytrans.net/">Copy ipod which will copy all except your app's which you would need to download again. You would not have to pay for them again.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Like this post
dogtrack

Likes # 0

"IPod Copy" (payware) is a program I have used in the past to transfer ipod content to itunes. Worked very well, can't remember the details but you should find it through Google.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...