We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

someone knocks external hd to floor.. likelyhood of a decreased life?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

It was knocked from a fairly low desktop to the floor. Its a new western digital wd elements drive:- http://www.amitbhawani.com/blog/western-digital-1-5tb-external-hdd/

Its still working absolutely fine, no issues at all, but I have heard that some drives may fail even with mild knocks due to sensitivity-is this really true, should it still be trustworthy? Its a very heavy drive with no fan, likely to have a thick casing-but the loud "thud" (even if its simply due to its weight) didnt sound so good as the final result! How much (accidental) damage can a modern drive really take? Thanks for any info

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have had 2 external drives fail after I stupidly dropped them - admittedly onto the pavement on loading my car. If it is ok now you are probanly ok, but as these drives are reasonably priced. I would be inclined to back it up,- if your data is also on the main PC maybe no worries. Incidentally, and out of curiosity, why do you need such a massive drive?

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I would always make backups of very important data, but I dont like the idea that one short fall on the floor could potentially make the drive completely useless. Hopefully my drive will be ok, but I would like to know if anyone has had a drive fail from similar accidents for comparison-I suppose thats just the way it goes and theres not much I can do aside from staying wary and keeping it well away from others from now on! As for needing such a massive drive-my own one is actually the 1TB version of the same release (was £39 new on amazon). I suppose thats another issue in itself-hopefully by the time 5TB+ drives are at the same price, they'll be far safer to use than they supposedly are now.. thanks :)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Depends on if drive is reading / writing when falls if so then vey god change heads / platters will be damaged.

If drive not in use then heads may be locked and you get away with it., however chances are again it will damage the drive with even a small fall as unlike some laptop drives the external are not fitted wit accelerometers to register the drop and lock the drive before it hits.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

the majority of failed drives that I found on some forums after googling seemed to be of ones that were already connected or writing, as you state. My own drive was not connected to any computer during the fall, and supposedly fell together with books, although whether this may have made the fall less harsh, theres no real way of knowing, but I definately heard the fall, lol. I think Ill need to see images of some modern drives uncased to get a better understanding of exactly why they are still regarded as being so fragile - Im assuming that drives of far greater durability, being able to resist falls whilst connected, may be just around the corner? If not, then the thought of users in the near future purchasing drives far larger than the one I have now for a similar price (because they can), using up the drive, and then losing the lot after a short fall, is not something to want to think about :)

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

..of course, the large size just emphasises even more why everyone should always backup ;)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Of course SSD drives do not have heads / platters (moving parts) so are much more durable :0)

but they are expensive and therefore small at the moment :0(

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Theres one Solid State Drive2 128GB on amazon = down from £260 (!) to £170, supposedly not much bigger than a credit card, no defragging ever required, lower power consumption, and runs at a great speed. Aside from the price, current maximum capacity of these drives, and lower maximum number of writes, they sound great, so there is definately room for improvement. No doubt ssds could even be updated one day, but even if this format doesnt replace whats current, the moving parts of old on hdds that are so suceptible to damage/falls will surely be the first thing to go-although some will miss it! Some buyers seem to state on their amazon reviews for their ssd drive that they 'miss the little clicks and whirrs of old', lol! Im not sure if anyone would say the same with the beeping from all those 8 bit cassettes many years ago :) thanks

Like this post
rickd

Likes # 0

Mine dropped 50 cm from a shelf onto my desk yesterday (lead a bit short!). On restarting the HD whirrs, then dies, then whirrs, then dies ad infinitum. Ho hum. So I guess the answer to your question is they are easily breakable, but if it's still working you probably got away with it (this time). New drive arrives from Amazon today!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Have you considered using a bench-test on the unit?.

Some manufacturer's have testing downloads on their websites, or at least 2 major manufacturer's did. You could also look on www.majorgeeks.com" target="_blank">http://www.majorgeeks.com">www.majorgeeks.com to see if there anything there for bench-testing and diagnostics?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Something appears to be wrong with the forums hyperlinking this morning?.

The thread wasn't suppose to come out like that?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015