We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview problems

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

A couple of nights ago I was watching Dave on Freeview. The picture slowly got worse and worse over the space of a few minutes - breaking up, freezing and pixellating until it disappeared altogether, to be replaced by a notice saying "No Signal". I channel-hopped up and down, and discovered that well over half the Freeview channels had the same problem. I've no idea how long this lasted, because I went to bed.

This has happened occasionally in the past. Can anyone please tell me whether it was a fault in my (very cheap) Freeview box, or whether it was a transmission problem?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not your fault, it's because the signal from the mast transmitter has not been turned up to full strength yet. They will turn it up to full when Analogue signal gets switched off.

In the meantime the weather affects the current weaker signal. Mine also loses the signal now and then.

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, thanks very much lotvic. I think our digital switchover date is November this year, so I guess I'll just have to be patient until then.

Thanks again for your advice.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

I would guess that you have a loose connection since the signal is usually ok. I had this from time to time and moved the aerial lead, as they are usually don't give a good connection into the aerial socket. I ended up looping it over the top of the freeview box so that the pressure on the lead where it plugs into the socket gave a good connection. Next time it happens, have a fiddle with the lead, and if not try the scart lead as well to make sure it's firmly in place.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Heavy rain is usually the cause.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would say you have a problem with the Coax Cable from TV to Ariel

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS If it was Raining it may have got into cable or connection

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, thanks everyone. I'll certainly check out the coax aerial cable, and its connection to the Freeview box.

I'm grateful for your advice.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you often have a problem with signal strength, and you have checked your cables (as suggested), it may be worth getting a Signal booster box to get a better picture / sound.

These links may help.

Link 2 gives an idea of prices ,or you could try locally.link" target="_blank">http://www.bing.com/search?q=TV+Signal+Booster&qs=n&sk=&sc=3-17&form=QBLH&filt=all">link text link" target="_blank">http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051144">link text

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks, Terry. I'll probably wait until the digital signal is cranked up and then see how I get on. But I'll certainly keep the idea in mind.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I have one of these http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-0685.aspx

It is connected to the (unboosted) roof aerial in the living room and then feeds a 4:1 booster (same manufacturer SLx or Technika) which then goes off to other rooms.

I need two because I live in a dip.

B&Q also do same one but more expensive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous