We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win XP License Key

The Teacher

Likes # 0

I need to do a reinstall of Win XP Pro but although I have the original disk I cannot remember where I put the license key, and don't have the original box.

Is there anywhere on the disk where the license key is stored so that I can retrieve it?

Thanks

The Teacher

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

On windows 7 now. But i think if you went to contol panel and then system, you would find it there.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Here's some free xp serial key retrieval programmes you could try if i'm wrong. (O:!

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/topkeyfinder.htm

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Download SIW

link text

Look under Licences

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Like this post
preston

Likes # 0

If the re-install is on the original computer, their should be a sticker on the side of the computer with the key on it.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Preston, not if it was a retail version or an OEM bought with a system and installed by the owner.

Like this post
The Teacher

Likes # 0

It is not going onto the original PC, that gave up the ghost ages ago, it is going to go onto a laptop that currently has Win 2000 on it.

I have had a look at the various programmes mentioned above and they seem to be OK if going onto the original PC, i.e key retrieval from the Registry, but not if key lost and install going onto a different machine.

The Teacher

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It is not going onto the original PC, that gave up the ghost ages ago.

Maybe if you still have the hard drive for it you may still be able to extract the keycode for it from that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...