We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista and Ubuntu Light

keith mac

Likes # 0

I have a 4 year old laptop running Vista which is slow to start, slow to shut down. I don't feel it's worth a Windows 7 upgrade and I read in PCA this week about Ubuntu Linux Light which appears to meet my basic needs to get online.

I can't find, though, a download from Canonical for 'Light' - am I just blind? If it's available anywhere else, how big is the download?

Lastly, does anyone have any experiences? How well does it perform in a dual-boot situation, how 'limited' is it (I only need Yahoo mail and Hotmail (preferably Firefox)plus Libre Office routinely) I use an oldish Samsung ML1740 laser printer (would need drivers). For everything else I'd open up Windows.

I'm not an expert user, not totally dumb either but I don't want to mess around unduly.

Your comments and experiences please????

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

link text

I think it is renamed and also not an official Canonical product.!?

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

There is Lubuntu which I believe is now nearly officially recognised - Lubuntu website

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

The o/s is mentioned in PCA September 2011, pages 47, Ubuntu Light first having been reviewed in May 2011 tinyurl.com/6zu5axs by Matt Egan

Canonical is shown as 'Contact' in the review but I couldn't find 'Light' on its website - I only found the regular flavours.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It is good idea to have a copy of Linux for general use or emergencies. I would recommend you Try It from CD/DVD (or USB) first, not full install (overwriting Vista).

Ubuntu CD/DVD

Lubuntu USB

-x-x-

Regarding your 4yr old Vista, it probably just needs a good clear out to work more efficiently.

Run cCleaner.

(Tools/Uninstall any old programs you no longer use.

Cleaner/Analyze/Run Cleaner

Registry/Scan for Issues/Fix

Tools/Startup/select and disable anything that does not neeed to run at boot up. Can be enabled again later if needed)

There are other ways to speed up your Vista system, including backing up all your data and doing a Factory Restore/Recovery, but I won't get into those here.

Like this post
Poitier

Likes # 0

Hi, Try an Ask search for 'list of linux distros' I suggest that you download Ubuntu 10.04 the LTS ubuntu version and burn the image to CD.Set the bios to boot from CD first and you can run it without installing.If you are happy with it you can select the option to install it later.20Gb of disk will be plenty and I think 256 Mb of RAM

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

It'll probably work OK.

However, you may like to try Linux Mint, which I think may be a better option.

Take a look here for the version that suits your computer.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

This is from the Mark Shuttleworth blog,scroll down to Ubuntu Light screenshot and read.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

link text

Better if i post the link.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'