We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scanner and Camera Wizard

DMQ

Likes # 0

I have Windows XP. I recently downloaded a Picasa update and since then when I connect my card reader to download photos I only get the option to do this via Picasa. It no longer automatically starts the Scanner and Camera Wizard. How do I restore my settings so that the Scannner and Camera wizard automatically starts?

Thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try this:

1. Open up My Computer
  2. Right-click on the drive that represents your memory card reader slot drive.
  3. Left-click on Properties
  4. Click on the AutoPlay tab
  5. Click on the dot Select Action to Perform
  6. Choose the appropriate one
Like this post
DMQ

Likes # 0

I have done as you've advised but in the Select Action to Perform for pictures there is only a choice of 'Copy Pictures to your computer using Picasa 3' or 'Take No Action'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Very strange you do not get more choices than those two, seems like picasa has taken over complete charge of picture files.

Are you able to select the 'Prompt me each time to choose an action'?

Choose 'Take No Action' and Apply, and then with your card reader connected try this workaround:

• Start
  • Run
  • type or copy & paste the following
  • wiaacmgr.exe
  • click ok

That manually starts the Scanner and Camera Wizard

(It may be that you will have to alter the file associations but will get back to you on that, or maybe someone else will post with more info.)

Like this post
DMQ

Likes # 0

Yes I get 'Prompt me each time to choose and action'. I did as you suggested but when I ran wiaacmgr.exe I got a message saying that the computer cannot detect the camera or scanner and suggested that I go to the Control Panel and Add Device under Scanners and Cameras. I tried that but the card reader manufacturer or device is not listed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is this a usb plug in card reader? (such as you can plug it in any usb port)

Did you have a card with pictures on it connected when you ran wiaacmgr.exe ?

AutoPlay "in the Select Action to Perform for pictures there is only a choice of 'Copy Pictures to your computer using Picasa 3' or 'Take No Action'"

I think the problem lies within that.... but I don't know why the other options don't show up. The one that needs to be selected is 'Copy pictures to a folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard'

There was an XP update not long ago that disabled the Autoplay feature (I declined it) so I wonder if you have got it installed and that may be the problem or it might possibly be a setting in Picasa3.

Like this post
DMQ

Likes # 0

Yes it's a plug in card reader and yes it had a card with pictures when I ran wiaacmgr.exe.

It worked fine until I updated Picasa 3. I just wonder how to alter the settings so I can have the option again of 'Copy pictures to a folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard'

Thanks for your help so far.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not a solution yet, but gained an insight to problem by reading this article ClickHere

Each item in the AutoPlay list is a handler installed by various applications to show as an option for a particular events or content types such as Pictures, Videos, and Mixed.

Like this post
DMQ

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link to the article, which was interesting. I've since discovered this article http://windowsxp.mvps.org/addautoplay.htm which advises using TweakUI to edit the items in Autoplay. I've tried it and it works.

Thanks again for your help.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Glad you you got it sorted out :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014