We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

recommended software for new computer?

thorny264

Likes # 0

Hey i will be completely my first computer this weekend and was wondering what software is recommended to have, it's running on windows 7 and will be used mostly for gaming. The software i am putting on are:

malware bytes anti-malware free avg security norton anti virus 2011

unsure of what browser to go with, i have been using internet explorer 8 on my old laptop and never bothered to upgrade to 9, what are the advantages of other browsers, i.e which is the fastest,best made etc

regarding divx 11 i think it is which is required to play new games, where can i download this and i have been told that i may have trouble playing older games (DOW:DC) so can i download an older and newer version or is there a patch somewhere which will allow me to play them?

cheers

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If a game requires DIV 11, an d it is not on your system , it will normally prompt you to load it, the same as any game as any other program that requires (e.g. Flash Player).

I assume you are going to do other things apart from games, so I would suggest an office program like Open Office link text. As you are used to Exporer 8, stick with it (unless 9 is pre-installed) until you find your way around the new system.

Older games-- There is a compatabiity option, however I do not know the Windows 7 system enough to advise.

Terry

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Just a word of caution. If you install both AVG Security and Norton Anti-Virus 2011 you will have the possibility of running two anti-virus programmes at the same time. This can give rise to conflict and is not a recommended configuration.

A quote from Ask Leo....

*Anti-Virus Most anti-virus programs operate in two modes: Scan: the utility examines memory and files on disk for traces of malware. This involves actually examining the contents each file for things that "look like" viruses. Monitor: often referred to as "real time" monitor, the anti virus program is continually running and scans files as they are downloaded to your machine, notifying you nearly immediately if the file you just received contains something that looks like a virus. There's nothing at all wrong periodically running an anti-virus scan with more than one anti-virus program. The key here is that it's just a scan - it starts, it scans, and then it's done. There's no opportunity to come in to conflict with another anti-virus program. Real time monitoring, on the other hand, is another story. When you install most anti-virus programs they often automatically install and enable their real-time monitors. Running two or more real-time anti-virus monitors at the same time is very likely to cause a conflict. That conflict could result in error messages, crashes of the anti-virus programs, or other types of failure. So it's certainly OK to have more than one anti-virus program installed, and it can make sense to run a scan using a different program from time to time, but you must make sure you only have one real-time monitor enabled at a time. "Running two or more real-time anti-virus monitors at the same time is very likely to cause a conflict." The simplest way to do so, as I mentioned earlier, is to rely on a single, good anti-virus program and make sure that its database of known viruses is continually being updated.*

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would add Superantispyware as an additional malware checker which I find sometimes finds adaware tracking cookies missed by malawarebytes. Also to attempt to block malware I would also install Spywareblaster (both free) . Although the windows firewall is fine, I prefer PCTools, again free. I use Auslogics (free) defragmenter, which is much quicker than the Windows one. I personally have partitioned my HD into C: for programmes, and f: for all my generated data (My Documents as it used to be in XP)This includes my e Mails. Then I regularly back this data drive up to another drive using SynchToy. I would also stromgly reccomend that you regularly use the w7 back up or if you could afford it, Acronis True Image. I find IE9 no problem. You will have to decide what e mail service as W& does not have a built in one - I use Office Outlook.I agree do not have 2 anti virus programmes running.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers