We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dual boot using two hard drives

mettis

Likes # 0

can someone explain how to implement a dual boot i have main sata 1t with windows 7 installed and a second sata 250g on which i want to install windows xp mainly because grandkids fav games wont run in windows 7

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have W7 on one HDD and XP on a different HDD for the same reason - grandkids games

I don't dual boot though, I just have one HDD connected at a time. It means when grandkids come they can't mess up any of data on my W7 HDD as I disconnect it. Means I don't have to worry about what they are doing and I can happily leave them to it :)

Like this post
mettis

Likes # 0

thanks lotvic this would certainly work but i wondered if there was a way to dual boot without having to unplug to disconnect main drive

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

I have a system with XP and Linux operating in dual boot. GRUB is the bootloader used. I re-installed XP & linux when I upgraded to a larger disc. I left the old drive in the pc and now I have the option of booting into the new XP install, the original XP install or linux.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think W7 has it's own boot manager already, but best to wait for someone who has got W7 and XP on a dual boot and knows how to do it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I think this is a pretty good guide (from memory) link text

Like this post
boyans

Likes # 0

You can install XP on the 250g.

Whatever system boots later Win 7 or XP after installation start it then download and install "Visual BCD Editor" from http://boyans.my3gb.com

It has a "Dual-boot Repair" tool - run it and click on "Automatic repair". This will make your system boot to Windows 7 by default. Reboot.

In Windows 7 you can use Visual BCD Editor add a second boot choice for XP. Right-click in the tree view and select "Create missing Windows loaders" and confirm.

Now you will have a dual-boot system Windows 7 with XP and Windows 7 boot environment will have control over the booting.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

To play safe & make life easier

Get 2 of this Tray-Less SATA Hot-Swap caddy Click Here ,no need to worry for bios settings or boot manager .

Put both sata drives in the caddy and install XP on the new drive, leave the Win7 drive in the 5.25" bay for your normal use,only eject it & put in the XP drive when your grandchildren are around.

Although it's designed for hot-swap(to be inserted without shutting down), I'd prefer powering down first.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Hear you are, a Boot Manager

Click Hear

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

As an alternative you can simply enter the bios at boot up , go to the boot menu and select which drive you wish to boot from , move it to the top , exit the bios and it will boot to the chosen drive .

Ashley
Like this post
mettis

Likes # 0

thanks to all who responded to this post.think i will take the advice of ashrich as this seems to be simplist solution.thanks again. mettis

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......