We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bank Account Compromise

Legslip

Likes # 0

My friend runs a small business and his bank has shut his accounts on account of funds being illegally withdrawn. The bank say it is because of lack of security on his computers (3 x desktops & a server). All run Avast Free Edition.

Avast does find Win32:Malware-gen on the server M: Drive and does not seem to remove it.

Can anyone suggest what steps to take in order to ensure that all his PC's are fully secure?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If that really is ALL the security he has on his computers then surely it is not surprising that his details have been compromised.

As well as Anti-virus he should have at least one or two Anti-Malware programs, like MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware for instance. Also a good Firewall is essential, something like the paid-for Sunbelt Personal Firewall.

For a business-man he is not showing much business sense IMHO.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Avast Free Edition is for personal use not Business.

Suggest you have a look at avast business page and compare the protection of just the free version with the protection for the pro version and Internet Security. Server Protection is in the Business section so best to look at both the Home and Business tabs for more info to give to your friend.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Sorry Nontek, I should have been a little more detailed. He DOESstrong text have Malewarbytes & SuperAntispyware installed on all PC's as well.

Also, sorry Lotvic but many, many small businesses run their PC's on free Antivirus and do so without problem albeit not in line with the suppliers conditions. I do know a few PC engineers and they are quite happy to install free software on Bus. PC's.

However, what I am not sure of is wether his accounts have been hacked because of his POSSIBLE PC insecurity or by other means. My pal who is a PC Engineer thinks that this may be as a result of random Account Generators form elsewhere accessing his bank account direct.

Mmmm.. just want to ensure we close the doors!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Legslip, I wasn't finding fault with using the free version, it was just to say to compare the versions.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Many banks advise using programs like Trusteer Rapport which ensure your login is to a recognised bank website and not being redirected through servers and diverted to other sites, it also prevents key logging activities and password protection. This is of course in addition to a proper, updated, working firewall and Anti-virus which does frequent scans to check for malware. A realtime antivirus program is preferable if not essential.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Lotvic. Appreciate your reply and understand your comment(s). Glad you participate. Good luck. Legslip.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try a boot-time scan with Avast to remove the malware.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Snrub. I use Rapport which I think is excellent on my PC and my wife's laptop, but I think it is only to prevent key logging when entering log in details on sites, not business computers receiving data from client/customers rtc.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

rdave13 - will try as suggested. Many thanks all for the input. Have scheduled regular scans with Avast, malewarebytes & Superantispyware. Fingers crossed!! legslip

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features