We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop overheating

collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi My laptop keeps overheating, i have purchased a 3 blade fan for underneath - but it still cuts out. laptop is about 4 years old and is an acer 5613

Any suggestions? other than get a new one! - which may make sense - how often should one upgrade?

thanks

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It may be just dust/fluff clogging the fan. Use a can of compressed air to blow backwards through the vent, and see if that helps.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

5620 fan clean here A5613 shouldn't be too different

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

thanks guys

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

Overheating is the reason I will never buy a laptop again. Fortunately I'm retired and sedentary so don't need one now. Mine started overheating and the only way to clean it was by splitting the case and blowing out the incredible amount of dust that had accumulated around the processor. To split the case meant disconnecting the floppy lead to the screen and there was no way it would reconnect. So it went to the great computer graveyard in the sky, after the hard disk had an argument with a hammer!

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I would be prepared to put money on it being full of fluff. It happened to my wife's 4 year old laptop. remove any covers and blow out with a PC gas can, ordinary compressed air can have water droplets in it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...