We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I cannot Defrag my C: Drive......help?

Wulfrune

Likes # 0

Recently, I reinstalled Vista Ultimate (legit version) on my wifes computer. As part of the general maintainence of her PC I defrag the drives periodically.

When I tried to defrag my wifes drive the first time, it was 19% fragmented. After defragging that went up to 34% fragmented and refuses to budge from this figure.

I have tried both Pirisoft's Defragger and the Windows Defragger, all to no avail.

Anyone help please?

Wulfrune

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Did you set a restore point before Defragging? If so use it.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Try running Windows defragmenter from an elevated command prompt. It also gives a detailer report. Use number 4 in the list below substituting C with whatever drive you wish to defragment.

Defragmenting HDD using command line prompt. Note insert spaces correctly.

1. Right click command line prompt and run as administrator.    

2. Type, defrag c: -a -v  to generate detailed file report.    

3. Type, defrag c: -v -r  to run the defragmentation routine.(only defrags files< 64MB)

4. Type, defrag c: -v -w to defragment all file sizes.

5. Type, defrag c: -b to defragment boot files.

6. Type, defrag -? To display information help page.
Like this post
Bill R TechSpec

Likes # 0

This happens sometimes when using the built-in defragmenter and with some of the freebies (although I had not heard of it happening with defraggler). It could also be disk errors or even malware.

I would recommend the following:

1. Ensure the Hard Disc Drive is not damaged or faulty. Solution - Run CheckDisk: a. Start> Computer >select C Drive>Right Click C Drive>select "Properties">"Tools" > click "Check Now"> Select both boxes and click "Start". b. This can take a long time, so let it complete (may take all night or longer. Be patient.)

2. Do a System Restore to a point before this was a problem: a. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore (click to open); b. Select a restore point well before you started having these problems; c. Start the restore process and let it complete (Name the restore operation something descriptive like "Browsing Repair").

Note: you will need to re-install any programs and maybe the updates that were installed after that restore point -- one of which may be the cause of this. Re-Install one at a time so you can see if any one of them causes the problem).

1. Get good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs (AVG is good for Anti Virus; MalWare Bytes is a good, free anti malware program -- see links below. Get the AV if you don't have one and Malware Bytes). a. Download Malware Bytes and install it b. Run a complete (full) SpyWare scan and handle whatever it finds. c. Run a complete Virus Scan and handle whatever it finds (if you are going to change AV programs, remove the old one first before installing AVG).

AVG AntiVirus: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

MalWare Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

1. Next, ensure the Registry is clean and the disk's clutter is also cleaned out. Solution: Get and run a good registry cleaner. a. Check to see if there is a registry cleaner already on the system; b. if none, get CCleaner at: http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ c. Run the Registry cleaner till it finds and corrects all errors d. Run the "Cleaner" to analyze the disk and see what it finds to delete and then delete the files that are not needed (most of the files it finds are unneeded, but look through the categories to be safe). e. In CCleaner, under "Tools", go to "Start Up" and look over the programs that start up on your PC. You may see a lot of programs that simply do not need to start up when you first boot up your PC. Disable these and leave only the essential ones (if not sure, note down the program name and then try to open it up via Start-> All Programs. If not essential, disable them). These are big "RAM Eaters" and many times are not needed at start up -- if you do need to use them, you can start them up as needed.

2. Run a good disk defrag. If you use the computer more than occasionally, the built-in may not cut it (many freebies and the built-in it do not handle system files well -- especially Restore Points). Consider downloading a free trial of a good third party commercial defrag tool.

Third party programs are more robust and many work in the background so you can use your PC while defragging.

Most third party programs offer a free, fully-functional trial (the better ones are for 30 days).

Here is a recent Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

a. Select a program and install it. The better defrag programs are automatic and the top placers in the above review can defrag while using the PC. The top placer was the only defrag program that prevented fragmentation (see the review).

You can get a free trial for the gold medal winner via the review or at: http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag

b. Defragment your disk drives. The best defrag programs are very fast. You will be able to see the progress and with the gold medalist, you can use the PC while it is working with no problems.

Good luck to you!

Bill R TechSpec ..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...