We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two Routers one connection??

[HFX]John

Likes # 0

Hey guys i was wondering i have two routers and i want to set up a game server 24/7 but the thing is im not the only person who uses my router. I have 3 laptops as well as my desktop PC running through this one router. So i wanted a dedicated router for just my Desktop PC to get better signal for my game server. I was wondering if i could have the second router near the Desktop computer have the PC pluged into the router through Ethernet, but then have this router connect to the other router through wi-fi.

i know that it is possible but i am really confused about it and would love for a good answer which would help

thanks a lot

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"i know that it is possible"

Don't think so.

Firstly, what do you expect to achieve with a second router? You will still have only one internet connection and that's what will determine the bandwidth available to your network.

Secondly, wireless routers incorporate a Wireless Access Point, that's what makes them "wireless". Computers use a Wireless Network Adapter to connect with the router's Wireless Access Point, but two Wireless Access Points (i.e. routers) cannot connect directly themselves, unless the particular router has the option to function as a Wireless Network Bridge.

Wireless Access Point - allows wireless devices to connect to a wired network.

Wireless Network Bridge - allows a wired network to connect to a wireless network.

Like this post
[HFX]John

Likes # 0

Before i reply to this, i would like to say that i am an ICT Technition :), futher more, my router can do bridging and i did this before, the reason i want one closer to my computer is so that i get a stronger signal, as my server will be upstairs and the routers downstairs.

i dont want to put it through ethernet since it loses signal from the distance i am away from the router, this is why i want to increase my signal

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks