We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC freezes when resuming after hibernation

renard

Likes # 0

My home PC is a Dell Dimension C521, running Windows XP.

I often use its 'hibernate' facility by pressing the Power button on front of the machine. I press the same button to resume after hibernation.

Increasingly, the PC is freezing soon after pressing to resume. I see the usual Dell window which has a small 'loading' bar. This bar quickly goes only half way, then everything freezes.

Nothing works except to switch off at the mains. Then I wait a few minutes before restoring mains power and press the Power button again, whereupon the 'loading' bar on the Dell screen moves fully across and the PC resumes from hibernation, no problem.

I should add that I sometimes get the same problem if hibernating by clicking Start / Turn Off Computer / Hibernate.

I will greatly appreciate any advice on how to prevent the PC freezing when resuming after hibernation.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Couple of ideas for you, hope one works!

Did this freezing start after a Windows update? If so, uninstall the update and see if that cures it. This may also be linked to a requirement for a BIOS update - some Windows updates (KB numbers) need one. If you know the Windows update which caused the problem, go to the update site and look at the update requirements, a BIOS update may be mentioned.

A remote possibility is a bad sector on your HDD. Run CHKDSK on your boot drive (probably C:).

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Windows 7 does have problems resuming from Sleep if you have a very large hard drive. If you Google it you will see several comments about it. One of the solutions to try is this Hotfix from Microsoft.

Like this post
renard

Likes # 0

Very many thanks for your replies.

I will try them and see if it cures the problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014