We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you use a pre-paid SIM in an iPad, to avoid roaming charges?

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend is going to Canada for a few weeks. He's just bought a wi-fi/3G iPad and is considering using it there for internet/email access. But he's worried about being hammered by roaming charges.

Is it possible for him to buy a pre-paid SIM in Canada, for use in his iPad? I don't know anything about iPads - do they use a standard, universally-available SIM?

Any advice would be welcome.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

There are 2 companies that provide iPad service in the USA and I think Canada one is Verizon the other is AT&T. Your friend should contact them to see if they do as a pay as you go service, but I'm afraid my gut feeling is no.

iPads sold in the USA are supplied with one of these sims, but on a contract basis only.

Worth contacting them, and also his / her present service provider. Remember if they are staying somewhere with wifi access they can use that for a much cheaper cost.

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks very much, Crosstrainer2.

I have already mentioned the wi-fi alternative to him, but he wondered whether he could also use the 3G option without huge costs.

I'll suggest that he enquires about Verizon and AT&T, and also talks to his UK provider.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

No problem! :))

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Not sure Verizon or AT&T is in Canada

Click Here

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks bremner. My pal goes to Canada quite often, so I'm sure he will know who the main mobile service providers are. I guess one or more of them will deal with iPads.

I've spoken to him this morning, and if a pre-paid SIM is not available he seems resigned to only using his iPad on wi-fi, in hotels, etc.

Now that he knows how the system works, he's going to do the rest of the investigations himself (thank goodness!)

So I'll close this thread now, with many thanks to you and to Crosstrainer2.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Forgot the tick!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Both AT&T and Verizon will work in Canada link text

link text

I'm not sure the Canadian providers will work with a UK iPad, the two above will:))

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer 2

AT&T and Verizon will work in Canada but I do not know how far into Canada their signal leaks before you pay roaming charges.

My colleague bought a Rogers Pre paid when in Toronto although I do recall issues with using his british credit card. If I remember a Canadian with whom we were working had to use his for him.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

That's the main issue here really, it can be made to work, but the costs are likely to be huge. Might be best to stick to wifi, although his own service provider may give a two week deal.

Remember that roaming charges for UK providers have recently been reduced due to OFCOM forcing the issue.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...