We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell laptop and Dell projector

Damarc

Likes # 0

I have been using my laptop for service presentations at church in which a Dell fixed projector is plugged in by one of those printer pin connections. Sorry don't know the correct name.

All has been working ok until three weeks ago when the large screen image from my laptop took some time to show. I had to reboot. What I do normally is put the projector on, connect to my laptop and then turn on my laptop.

This Saturday when I tested it, it worked without rebooting but on Sunday refused to show up on screen at all, the projector Dell logo was on but nothing from my laptop. I can't understand what has happened. I checked Device Manager but couldn't find any projector listed. Is there anything else i can do to check if it is or isn't recognising the projector?

The only major programme I have installed recently is Samsung Kies for my mobile phone connection but as the presentation worked on Saturday but not on Sunday, I just can't understand it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You normally have to press a key combination to switch from Laptop screen to external screen.

Plug in laptop and switch on

Connect projector cables to laptop

Use Fn + one of the F keys (Small square in blue) [F7 on my HP], press ing this key combination switches between 3 options laptop only, laptop + external, external only.

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

I was told to do this but with FN and F4 or F5 keys and neither worked. But I have never had to do this in the past, my laptop screen has just appeared on the projector screen, although my laptop screen goes 'wide' but the projection screen doesn't. Anything else?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Right click an empty area of the desktop and select properties - have a look in the settings tab it should show two screens.

No2 is the external (projector if connected) is the box Extend my Windows... ticked?

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

Just to say it turned out to be F8. I didn't realise that the relevant key had a very small blue outline of a laptop and screen! Thank you for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings