We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Skymail & Thunderbird

yaesu

Likes # 0

Hi, I've just returned to t/bird as my e-mail ap after getting Sky to "synchronise" it. Now it insists on downloading ALL mail from Sky which amounts to multiple thousands of mails. I think if I delete the unwanted ones in t/bird the process will be repeated next time I load T/bird. Anyone any ideas how to stop this please? regards, Yaesu

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Have you checked if Thunderbird is set to leave messages on the server?

(Tools/Server Settings/Leave messages)

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You don't say which email program you were using before reverting to Thunderbird. If you were using an email program with POP3 protocol, and configured it to leave messages on the server, it would have "tracked" your already retrieved messages and only downloaded new ones. However, if you now set up a different email program, it will retrieve all messages it finds on the server.

I'd suggest you access your mail via Sky's web-based interface and delete all of the old unwanted messages and then use Thunderbird to manage your mail. Messages should normally only be left on the server if you need to retrieve them again with a another computer. Even then, a better solution is to use IMAP rather than POP3 to manage mail with multiple computers.

Like this post
yaesu

Likes # 0

Hi mgmcc, thanks for that, I'll try but think I've used IMAP. Sorry for delay in reply but have been away from home. Regards, Yaesu

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia