We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor and Laptop Set-up

Rocketeer

Likes # 0

Hello, I'm looking for advice. I'm about to purchase a new laptop and unsure how best to meet my viewing requirements. A 15" laptop is ideal for my travelling around. However at home I prefer using a large screen especially for multimedia work.

Should I go for a 15" laptop and separate 22" monitor or forget the monitor and go for a 17" laptop? With a separate monitor, how long can I expect it to be current before being superceded by better newer monitors?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

It depends how much you value portability. A 15" laptop will always be much more portable than a 17" - and, in many ways, 17" is something of a compromise in screen terms anyway. I think, based on what you say, I'd go for the smaller screen size laptop.

Don't worry about the external monitor. Anything you buy today will be good for a long time - there aren't that many innovations taking place in the monitor market. You'll get it cheaper in the future, of course - but that's the technology market for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features