We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Conflicting Security ???

Nick.A
Resolved

Likes # 0

On my PC I have running ‘McAfee Security Scan Plus’ and, as part of my BT broadband package, ‘BT NetProtect Plus’, which is run jointly with McAfee. My question is, is this combination superfluous or do they even interfere with each other? Would it be wise to uninstall ‘McAfee security Scan Plus’?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You don't need both that's for sure - you will certainly get a conflict. Make your choice and uninstall one of them.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

I don't think so. McAfee Security Scan Plus checks that you have a Firewall, Antivirus and antispyware running and it will inform you if one fails.

BT NetProtect Plus contains those security programs " in association with McAfee® ". So they go 'hand in glove'.

If you are happy paying for internet security then they're OK.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 1

Nick.A - Apologies if I have mislead you but I appear to have been given the wrong information recently - I queried this same thing for a friend with a local computer shop and the advice was to remove one. Go with rdave13 advice.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 1

I run both without conflict. There is also a program called McAfee Virtual Technician which can be downloaded from the McAfee website which does a check that McAfee is working properly with all required updates and automatically reports and fixes errors.

Like this post
Nick.A

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, that was helpful. I’ll leave both on my PC. The reason why I asked is because my computer races and is very slow from time to time – but that is another question for another thread.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014