We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cloning in Photoshop Elements

shellship

Likes # 0

I want to do remove unwanted bits from a photo. I alt-click to select the source area but it moves with the clone tool whether the align box is checked or not. How do I fix the source irrespective of where the clone tool is, please.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

So far as I know this is how the Aligned checkbox is intended to work. I use PSE9 and the help file states that:

"Alligned - Moves the sampled area with the cursor as you begin to paint, regardless of how many times you stop and resume painting. Selecting this option is useful when you want to eliminate unwanted areas, such as a telephone line across the skyline or a rip in a scanned photo. If Aligned is deselected, the Clone Stamp tool applies the sampled area from the initial sampling point each time you stop and resume painting. Deselecting this option is useful for applying multiple copies of the same part of an image to different areas within the same image or to another image."

Sadly, this is probably not helping your actual query, but it does explain the Aligned function. strong text

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

On my Edit Program after clicking on clone it brings up two rings or squares etc depending what you want to do one you can Set by holding the shift key and moving the mouse of the other one then clone what the first one is on. practise then turn off without saving and open again and have another go. You can remove cracks in photos or objects

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS When using Clone Select to remove scratch or crack select a bit near the crack that is ok. then dust out the crack with the tool

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Possible answer here also double clicking can affect link text

I would use that forum for your queries Personally I only use the clone tool for the minimal of repairs most times its better to select a suitable area and paste that over inverting or altering the brightness etc to blend if needed

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Thanks eedcam (and the others). Had tried the PS forum before and just got what Quizman said. Will continue to experiment. May be that PSE 7 is not so facile!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Ok shellship I've never used Elements, so probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

I have though been using Photoshop for over 10 years and what you describe regarding selecting the source is how it's done in PS, moving the mouse moves the source selection, when hovered over the destination a left click will then deposit the souce over the destination. All this is controlled via the softness/hardness and size of the selected brush and also via the opacity.

The source moving with the clone tool is how it should be. Alignment is often done manually, but for critical alignment where the section to be cloned is close to an area you do not want to disturb, you can create a selection using a marquee tool of your choice, the source selection will then be placed within the selected area. any overspill from the clone tool will not overlap the selected area.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

But his problem is the source point moves regardless of whether Align is selected or not Which it should not do if not selected

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes it does, but as long as it stays inside the bit you want to copy it will be okay. You may need to adjust it from time to time

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite