We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

damaged drivers for cd/dvd rom

charlie 2

Likes # 0

hi lost internet connection error in tray says lan connection unplugged but changed lead to modem twice seems like socket on computer no separate network card fitted, also drivers for cd/dvd roms show fault in design manager yellow markers so cannot re install dell recovery disk or re install anything help help i have to use friends computer to send this windows xp dell 4600 chas

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

What OS? You can try this: delete cd/dvd drive in device manager - reboot. this will re-load the drivers.

Like this post
charlie 2

Likes # 0

hi earlr Thanks for reply, os is XP have tried your suggestion but on re boot drivers are still corrupt. Hoping to download driver of cd/dvd drive to memory stick on another computer to install driver but tried this once and did not work. Cannot do anything till cd/dvd drives work. Going round the bend

chas

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

drivers for cd/dvd roms show fault in design manager yellow markers

Highlight right click and select properties - what is the error code?

Like this post
charlie 2

Likes # 0

hi fruit bat cannot remember error code, will have to get back to my computer to check again 39 rings a bellbut not sure. meanwhile have been adviised fault is in registory and there is a procedure to correct this by going to regedit but seems quite complicated. procedure called fix missing optical drives. typing this on applemac so bit clumsy

chas

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect. This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/ works for vista or XP

http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

or manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Like this post
charlie 2

Likes # 0

Hi I was given the registry fix info yesterday and it seems to have worked I can now access the cd/dvd roms thanks everybody. Next problem is the error in tray lan connection unplugged, I have changed ethernet lead twice to no availe. This error for network unplugged is shown all the time. There is no network card, it is onboard so I may have to fit a seperate card but I have obtained a network driver so now that I have the cd rom working I will try this first. Anyone had this error show up in the tray before Thanks all

chas

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

if you are using a broadband router, turn it off for five minutes then back on with the switch on the router, it may have a button at the back

Like this post
charlie 2

Likes # 0

hi registry fix only seemed to last until next boot up then problem returned, have repeated this a number of times. have fitted pci network card in place of onboard one but is not recognised in device manager and do not have disk. latest problem is on bootup small network window appears saying I or a program is requesting information from cr-tools.google.com and the computer is locked up for about 30 minutes with nothing available. To top it all the internet light on the modem went off, after about 30 minutes of waitingTalkTalk said the modem had lost my username and password and to replace them using computer but the computer cannot see the modem because of faulty onboard network card or unrecognised replacement. Not sure if all my attempts are making things worse or there is a major fault somewhere after thunderstorm last week So can anybody HELP

chas

Like this post
charlie 2

Likes # 0

Hi eventially got pci network card installed and checked out modem using 192.168.1.1, so now on line at last. Problem with cd/dvd rom still occurs on bootup so registry fix has to be repeated each time so will have to work at this. Thanks for interest everyone, any good tips welcome.

chas

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Perhaps the cause of the problem is hideing in system restore (like a virus can) Have you ran mailwarebytes ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten