We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Explorer has stopped working

Bagpipes

Likes # 0

When my friend tries to open Documents on her Windows 7 Home Premium laptop the message "Windows Explorer has stopped working - checking for a solution to the problem" then "Windows Explorer ia restarting" but it doesn`t. Does any one know the solution please?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

try doing a system restore from a old date when it worked, restore points are in bold

Like this post
Bagpipes

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestion woodchip but it hasnt worked. Any more ideas will be most welcome. Thanks

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Look in task manager and make sure explorer.exe is on there.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Some good advice on this.

Maybe go through them one at a time.

link text

Like this post
Bagpipes

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the help. I have tried it all without success so will now try a full restore and hope it doesnt return

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

The problem is sometimes caused by a third-party extension. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer. Read about it then scroll down near to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version link text

When you run it, click on the column labelled Company to alphabetically sequence the entries. Let us assume that the Microsoft entries are bona fide and concentrate on the others. Is there anything else listed that is either unnecessary or unknown? If so, highlight it and click the red spot (top left) to disable it. You may find it easier to disable them all, then re-enable them (green spot) one at a time and open Explorer until the culprit is found.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Windows Explorer is a fundamental part of Windows, without it it will not run. so it is running but not how its supposed to. You may be better using a Operating System disc to do a repair of the OS

Like this post
Bagpipes

Likes # 0

Thanks for the last two. Woodchip, i had thought of using a OS disc but my friend does not have one nor do i know of any one who does. Burrwalnut, sorry but the link does not work but i have tried disabling evey thing in System config utility/services except the microsoft stuff.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

It’s not the Services you should be disabling, but the add-ons provided by other manufacturers. I’ve had trouble posting URLs here since the switch over, I’ll try again link text

The address is http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Like this post
Bagpipes

Likes # 0

I have solve the problem!! I re-installed windows it seemed the quickest and easiest way in the end. Thanks for all the advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing