We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Automatic updates TROUBLE

HollBoy

Likes # 0

Windows Security Centre says Auto Updates has turned itself OFF (red cross over the updates icon in lower right toolbar) – but in ControlPanel/system/updates it is turned ON (green =OK!).

When I click on lower right toolbar icon – updates are OFF & trying to click here to turn them on (Turn on Automatic Updates box) I get message “We’re sorry – Windows Security Centre could not change your Auto Updates settings. Try changing through Control Panel etc….

Any ideas please! With thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check in "Services" to see if Windows Update service is running - if not "restart" the service.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Also run SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode. You might have some malware.

The free version,SAS

Remember to update it in normal mode first.

Like this post
HollBoy

Likes # 0

Thanks all. Excuse my stupidity - where are "services" in Windows XP? Ta

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Start - Run - Type

services.msc

press OK

Like this post
HollBoy

Likes # 0

Thanks but when did this, couldn't see if Windows Update service is running in "Services" - no sign of it in the list. Any ideas? I looked down the list but nothing obvious if not called Windows Update service...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It comes under Services on Windows 7 so I would imagine it would be the same on others. Remember Windows Update and not Microsoft Update.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Switch the Windows update off in control panel.Reboot and switch them on again and see if that helps.

or if you use I/E go to Tools Windows Update and run it manually and see what happens.

Like this post
HollBoy

Likes # 0

No luck rebooting option. Tried IE/tools/win update but problem doing this. Have contacted MS but any other ideas most welcome. Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow