We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to completely remove Mcafee in order to install AVG

menopaws1947

Likes # 0

Hi, Help please, am trying to remove mcafee and install AVG> Have removed Mcafee but apparently not all of it. Tried to use their removal tool but is still refusing to install AVG. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sue

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507 have a good read of how to run the removal tool correctly especially if you have Vista or W7

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

use the download now button.link text

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you tried to remove it before using their removal tool you may have to er-install it, then use the tool.

Like this post
menopaws1947

Likes # 0

HI Thanks for replies, I have been trying for a couple of hours, went into that first link but is neighbours comp and when I installed McAfee for him don't remember log in info so can't use that. Tried the ARO but wouldn't repair all the errors without purchasing. Third one, cannot reinstall, used a download so don't have disc, so wants credit card number even for free trial.

Sue

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try running the removal tool in safe mode.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Why install AVG? I'd go for MSE.

Like this post
menopaws1947

Likes # 0

Ahh Safe mode, thanks will try that one. Have just gone into Restore point for a fresh start.

I have used AVG for 8 years and suppose better the devil you know, but never heard of MSE will look it up ty

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

MSE Microsoft Security Essentials with Vistas own firewall is a good enough security, back it up with Malwarebytes free scanner and SpywareBlaster and you are well covered.

Weekly scan to with MalwareBytes to double check MSE hasn't let anything through.

Personally I use AVAST as it uses a small profile.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK