We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Return laptop to touch instead of mouse

kimtrnc

Likes # 0

I have used a mouse on my laptop for some time, but now need to use to finger touch. Absolutely know that it only needs a couple of Fkeys, but can't remember which. Can someone help my stupid senility, please?

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

I use a mouse on my laptop and if I disconnect it the touchpad works fine instead. Do you really need to use a function key?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Make & Model of laptop would help. On some it is a Fn Key function and on others it is a physical button usually next to or above the touchpad. The icon on the relevant Fn Key usually looks like a rectangle with a finger pointing - check the Function keys across the top of the keyboard for something similar. The Fn key to use in combination is bottom left of the keyboard.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My HP works with both Touchpad and mouse, you may have disabled it in device manager

Like this post
kimtrnc

Likes # 0

Taff, it's an Acer Aspire 5630, approximately 8 years old. The FN key plus the "finger" and F7 worked well, thanks. Knew it was simple, but just couldn't quite get the right combination. Thanks

Like this post
kimtrnc

Likes # 0

Woodchip - on mine it doesn't!, but thanks for the advice

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Glad that's sorted. On your model it will probably be a PS2 connection (Green Connection) as opposed to a USB mouse. The PS2 connections used to disable the touchpad on some models of laptops - that's my guess anyway!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback