We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"Phantom" drive

m800afc

Likes # 0

Intel Core i7 CPU [email protected] 3.81GHz 12Gb RAM ATI Radeon HD 5770 Monitor 1 - BenQ2400W (Landscape) Monitor 2 - BenQ2400W (Portrait) Win 7 Pro 64bit

In my device manager a portable device is shown as occupying drive M. When I click on My Computer, no drive M is shown. The properties of drive M are shown as a generic portable device that is working properly, located on UMBus Enumerator. The driver files details are C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\UMDF\WpdFs.dll and C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\WUDFRd.SYS. In the details the Value is MS/MS-Pro. When I scan for hardware changes the driver software istallation window states that the driver was not successfully installed: No driver found.

I am of the opinion that this may be a USB thumb drive that has been used in the past, but have no idea which drive it refers to. It may be one of mine, or one of the manufacturers.

My problem is that I wish to use drive letter M, which is not found in the change drive letter drop down menu.

Is it safe to uninstall this "phantom" device, without compromising anything, and if uninstalled, will letter M become available for use?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try this: Go to run and copy and paste **RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL HotPlug.dll ** The Safely Remove Hardware window should appear.

Wait for it to populate and hopefully 'M' will appear,select, then click stop.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and a dialog box appeared:

"The generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged"

I have no idea what to do next.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdevicesview.html download and see what this brings up, unistall any drives shown as not connected or even anything except USB keyboard or mouse (HID) any thing else will be reinstall next time its plugged in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...