We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Am I under attack?

pauleboy

Likes # 0

I have had this HP G6000 laptop running XP Home Premium SP2 for about 4 years with no problems.

A few days ago it started to shut down and reboot. This happens every time after boot up just as the desktop loads and start up programs kick in. When I restart in Windows Safe Mode the computer works o.k.

I thought that it must be one of the start up programs causing the problem so tried removing them from start up in msconfig. I did not manage to find any culprit but found that if I went back to a restore point of about a week ago the laptop loaded fine in normal mode and worked for the rest of the session. However the next day when I fired up the machine again the same thing happened. I carried on trying to find the culprit - took Firefox 5 off etc, etc but found that the only work round was to go back to the restore point and reload and have been doing this for the last 2 days.

Now today was when disaster hit! When I try to repeat my restore in safe mode I was told that there were no restore points on the machine!!! This immediately made me think I had picked up some nasty from the internet.

I am therefore really p**sed off. I have run a full scan using McAfee and am currently running another with malwarebytes but so far nothing has been reported. The fact that the laptop runs o.k. in Safe Mode and also Normal mode after a system restore seems to suggest it is not a hardware problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences? The only thing I can think of doing at the moment is a factory restore but only want to go down that route if there is no other option.

Cheers

Paul

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Under attack -- No I don't think so!

If ok in safemode then its usually a driver corruption problem

if ok after a restore then it may well be that windows is updating a driver and that is causing the problem.

Like this post
pauleboy

Likes # 0

Fruitbat - thanks for your reply.

I have done a "clean boot" and I don't think it is an application or service that is causing the shutdown.

I agree with your idea that an update has caused the problem so am in the process of finding how to undo all the windows updates back to the 21st June when I know the machine worked fine. Apparently as long as you are careful to remove the updates in the reverse order to when they were applied you also restore the registry back to its prior state at each removal - so fingers crossed!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide