We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Brother network printer now not got IP address

rupie

Likes # 0

I have a small network, where there are 3 macs all connected together, and a Brother HL-4040 network printer. Things have been working for nearly a year. All is DCHP from the internet Router. There is a netgear switch also because there is no enough network cables that go into 1 room. Yesturday I could not print and found that the printer has not been given an IP address. The settings are correct and to test the cable, if I plug the network cable into a laptop it gets an address. The cable is 20m long, if I try another calbe the same length the same problem. If I move the printer into the room with the router is and use a 1m cable it finds an IP address. With the Mac I can connect directly with static IP and it works. I have changed the router and the same problem exsists. If I change the switch the same problem exsists.

What is going on ???

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

It may be that the network port in the printer is not working as efficiently as it used to. With a 20m cable the signal may now be too weak for it to get its IP address. If it has to be that distance from the router, a possible solution would be to connect a Network Switch at the end of the 20m cable run and then a short ethernet cable to the printer.

Also, if the 20m cable is plugged into the Netgear Switch, try connecting it directly to one of the router's own ports (assuming a conventional router with four ethernet ports).

Like this post
rupie

Likes # 0

Tried that, no Luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone