We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error 553 Message

douglas1973
Resolved

Likes # 0

My service provider is BT. For a long time I have frequently been receiving the following email from them:

"Dear Customer,

You’ve received a ‘553’ error message because we’ve upgraded your BT Yahoo! Mail account security to help protect against ‘spoofing’ – when people use alternate email addresses to disguise the real sender, possibly to commit fraud.

What you need to do

We need you to take a few minutes to confirm each of the BT Yahoo! Mail alternate email addresses you use are genuine. If you don’t, you might get more ‘553’ error messages and have problems sending emails. Just log in and follow these simple steps . We don’t ask for any personal information.

Your BT Yahoo! Mail address is d.xxxxx@btinternet.com

If you can’t remember your password, please use our automated password re-set tool

Taking these steps means less spam on the network and better email service, so thanks for your help".

I have taken the steps that they suggest above but they have not made any difference. In desperation I have contacted BT Support by phone on two occasions to ask them to eliminate the annoying emails but they have been unable to do so. On the second occasion the technician said that all he could do to eliminate the problem was to set up Outlook 2007 to consider such messages as Junk Mail! In desperation I accepted this compromise but now no longer want to put up with it. Can anyone suggest how I can eliminate the error message forever?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Worth a look I suppose.

link text

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

A N other.link text

Worth another look I suppose.

Google has loads of folk with the same problem.

I am sure someone will be point you in the right direction.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Douglas, do you get that error 553 message is response to every e-mail you send? If you don't then let us know what you think triggers it - for example, does it perhaps only occur when Outlook sends a read receipt to senders who have requested it?

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

Hi Secret-Squirrel. No, I do not get error message 553 in response to every email I send. I get the message approximately once a week. I have no idea why. It does not only occur when Outlook sends a read receipt to senders who have requested it. Thanks for your interest in the matter.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Douglas but you should be able to tell immediately which e-mails are affected because Outlook will refuse to send them and will display an error 553 failure message like the example below:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'XXXXXX@btinternet.com'. Subject 'Fw: Hangover Result', Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From: address not verified; see click here', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

After that occurs, the next time a user receives new e-mails from their BT account, they'll get that one from BT informing them of what they need to do to fix the issue.

Are you saying that all the messages you send in Outlook go through successfully without errors and yet you receive that error 553 e-mail from BT on a regular basis?

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 1

Thanks Secret-Squirrel. I have regularly been receiving messages from BT as described in my first email. I cannot recall Outlook actually refusing to send any emails.

What BT wants me to do is confirm that each of the BT Yahoo! Mail ALTERNATE email addresses I use are genuine. Because I don’t confirm I get ‘553’ error messages periodically (but not all the time).

The reason I have not been confirming that the ALTERNATE email addresses are genuine is because their instructions on how to do so are outdated and do not apply to their remodelled Home web page. Because of this I therefore spoke to BT personnel on two occasions on the phone and asked them to configure whatever was necessary so that I would no longer get the 553 error messages. Whatever they did did not worked.

Today I spoke to BT again to someone who appeared to be more knowledgeable on the subject and hopefully she has taken the steps to avoid me getting the error messages again. What she did was not very different to the written istructions that BT provides - it just happens that what they tell you to do is not in the same place as they were before. Why they can't update their instructions is beyond me.

I am just hoping that this is the end of the error.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update and all that info Douglas.

Good luck in getting your problem resolved with BT :)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)