We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Mechanic - worth buying?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I have been using 'System Mechanic' a little while, and it says it is cleaning up a lot of stuff. Is it or isn't it - I don't know!! But I am a little sceptical, however the "free" period is about to run out and I would like to know wether or not this is worth buying OR will one or other of the free programmes that are about do just as well. Any and all advice/help/information gratefully accepted.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I would never use anything other than the free, and well respected CCleaner. It's genuine, safe and can really speed up a clogged PC.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Many thanks for your comment. I have been using ccleaner - and malwarebytes - for some time, so I will continue with them.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Ditto. CCleaner is good enough for most people and there is always a danger that some of the registry cleaners can be too aggressive which CCleaner is not. I know several people who have tried 2 or more registry cleaners to sort out a so called "slow computer" and completely wrecked it. A slow computer usually has an underlying problem which needs to be treated separately.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Had SMv8 I think nothing I couldn't do using CCleaner and a couple of other tweaks for free.

Only advantage is all in one package

Disadvantage is it costs for that convenience.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I've used it for ages and swear by it. It seems to clean deeper than Ccleaner and I haven't encountered any problems. It seems to keep my system running more quickly than without using it, though there is no way that I could ever prove it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...