We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"Windows Live Messenger has stopped working

marvin42
Resolved

Likes # 0

close the program and Windows will notify you if a solution is available". This happens about 20 seconds after opening but there never appears to be a solution. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and tried system restore. This is only happening on my W7 PC - XP is fine.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 2

I think you have to go to add remove click on Windows live Essentials and at the top it should give you the options of a repair.

Now this is where I am not sure ,You can either choose Windows Live messenger out of a list or you have to repair all of Windows Live essentials.

Yes just tried it it gives you the option of just repairing the one program and not all of them.

So obviously you pick Windows Live messenger.

Worth a try if nothing else works.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Hi buteman. On first try I only got the option to uninstall so I took it and reinstalled - same problem. Second try gave me the choice so I chose repair which failed. Third try repair successful - seems to be OK now. Many thanks.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I spoke too soon - it's back to it's old tricks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try it with your Firewall turned off and see if it works ok or maybe your Anti-malware program is stopping it for some reason.

Maybe give MalwareBytes just in case you have picked up a nastie.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Thanks buteman. I'm using Windows Firewall and Messenger is in the list of allowed programs - I've been using the same set-up for some time and only just had this problem. Malwarebytes found nothing at all. I have uninstalled all Windows Live programs and installed Windows messenger 2009. This seems to have worked (so far) - fingers crossed.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED